Sudan: the protest movement wants a civilian government “immediately”

The protest movement in Sudan has urged new military leaders to "transfer" power immediately to a civilian government, with the generals having previously called on political parties to agree on an "independent" figure as prime minister. a civilian executive.

After President Omar al-Bashir was deposed on Thursday for 30 years, thousands of Sudanese still camp in front of army headquarters in Khartoum to pressure the military.

"We will continue to organize our sit-ins until we meet our demands," Omar el-Digeir, one of the leaders of the Alliance for Freedom and Change (ALC), spearheaded on Sunday, said. a protest movement that has been shaking the country since 19 December.

The Transitional Military Council, which now holds the reins of the country, appeared on the same day to support the demonstrators by asking political party leaders to "agree on an independent figure who would become Prime Minister and on a civil government ".

"We want to establish a civil status based on freedom, justice and democracy," said a member of the Council, General Yasser al-Ata at a meeting with these political parties in Khartoum.

The Foreign Ministry said that General Abdel Fattah al-Burhane , at the head of the new military power, had "committed to establishing a fully civilian government", but without giving a timetable.

"The role of the military council will be to maintain the sovereignty of the country," the ministry added.

The military council must "immediately transfer" the power to a civilian government, demanded Sunday in a statement the Association of Sudanese professionals, member of the ALC alongside the opposition parties.

She also called on the future "transitional government and armed forces to try Bashir, all the leaders of the NISS", a formidable intelligence service, as well as those "who have committed crimes against humanity and genocide" in the region. western Darfur, as well as in the southern parts of the Nuba and Blue Nile mountains.

- "Eliminate the roots" of the diet -

Shortly after, the Military Council announced the appointment of a new NISS leader, General Aboubaker Mustapha, succeeding the dreaded Salah Gosh whose resignation had been announced Saturday, and the dismissal of the charge d'affaires stationed in Washington, Mohamed Atta, a former chief of intelligence services.

Saturday night, the leaders of the protest had requested the restructuring of the NISS, also actor in the last four months of the crackdown on demonstrators, which has killed dozens, according to the ALC.

General Burhane promised "to eliminate the roots" of the regime of Omar al-Bashir.

He also announced the release of all protesters arrested in recent weeks and the lifting of the night curfew imposed on Thursday by his predecessor, General Awad Ibn Ouf, who had resigned after a day at the head of the Council.

He also pledged to try people who killed protesters.

"It is crucial that the new Sudanese authorities investigate the role of Salah Gosh in the killing of many demonstrators," Amnesty International said.

The Military Council, however, has among its ten members several pillars of the Bashir regime, including the chief of police.

- Bash not extraditable -

In a statement on Saturday night, General Burhane appointed NISS's deputy chief and Mohamad Hamdan Daglo, head of the paramilitary operations of the Rapid Support Force, nicknamed "Himeidti" and accused of human rights violations. humans in Darfur (west).

On Sunday, "Himeidti" received at the presidential palace the American charge d'affaires Steven Koutsis. He informed him of "measures taken by the new power to preserve security and stability in the country," according to the official Suna news agency.

Among the measures imposed in the wake of the removal of Mr. Bashir was a ceasefire across the country, including Darfur, where a conflict has made more than 300,000 deaths since 2003 according to the UN. In recent years, however, the level of violence has decreased in the region.

Amnesty on Saturday urged the authorities to quickly reveal the whereabouts of ousted president Omar al-Bashir, 75, who came to power after a coup in 1989, and to hand him over to the International Criminal Court (ICC).

In 2009, this Hague-based court issued an arrest warrant against him for "war crimes" and "against humanity" in Darfur, adding the following year the charge of "genocide".

The military council, however, said it would refuse to extradite Mr. Bashir or any other Sudanese citizen.

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, generally reluctant to popular revolts by analysts, for their part reacted cautiously to the upheavals underway in Sudan.

The two capitals, who fear a descent into the hell of the country that would destabilize the Horn of Africa and harm their interests, expressed hope for a "peaceful transition" while making vague promises of aid to Sudan that sinks into economic chaos.

For its part, Qatar, a serious dispute for almost two years between his Saudi and Emirati neighbors and had some influence on the Bashir regime before it approaches Ryad, observes a silence gene.

The Sudanese Foreign Ministry called on the international community to "support the Transitional Military Council (...)" in order to "achieve a democratic transition".

Source: Seychelles News Agency

Comments are closed.